Tuesday, February 23, 2010

shining lights

Kek Lok Si is a temple in Penang famous for its light, which they switch on the lights only on specific days. But for the fifteen days of CNY, they'll on it all the way, which also means this is a chance we can't miss. Partly also because of the bronze Kuan Yin which they had just finished constructing as well!

Dinner before going out! Thats all of us heading towards the coffeeshop opposite my eldest aunts apartment. Yes, my family turned to ants! And thats barely 1/4 of us. :P

Oh ar chien! Oyster Egg.... something. I don't know, but its delicious! Its egg mixed with starch and oyster, and its my favourite. Penangs one are the best, because its not as watery as the ones in KL.

Thats six tables for all of us! Can't possibly sit altogether without obstructing the walkway, so we all sat separately. And yet, ordering food and drinks is still utter chaos.

There was a horrendous jam on the way up though. If its smooth traffic, cousins said it would only take five minutes to reach Kek Lok Si, but with the traffic, it took us at least 45 minutes to an hour before we got there. So we do what girls do best - spoil the camera aka we camwhore!

We finally got there though! Pretty no? With all the lights on, it looks like fairyland. And it was gorgeous! One would understand why they only switch the lights on certain days, the amount of electricity it would cost!

But our main purpose to go there was to see the new Bronze Kuan Yin. Now usually, they would have a cable car to go up, and save everyone the trouble of climbing. But see, the line at the cable car was horrendous, so much so it would be at least 1AM before we finally get on the cable car, so we opted? To walk.

Yes, walk. Walk 10 minutes on an uphill incline to get to one Bronze Kuan Yin statue. One long file of people all huffing and puffing, with us cousins pulling on our parents because c'mon, their old, can't exactly take that. Throw in the fact that some of us were wearing heels, and really, it was torturous.

But hey, it was nice! Its been a while since I climbed like that, so I think I really need to get back to exercising, but the statue was... pretty worth it, I suppose. Very pretty, though my neck hurt craning to look up at it. But I love the carved pillars!

Pretty, no? All the designs are so intricate, and if I could, I would've clambered on the pillar like a monkey and take pictures of every different design, but sadly, I couldn't.

A cicada landed on my uncles pants! It was green, so I presume it's quite young, but hey, it was a surprise. The last time I saw one like that was when I climbed Ledang.

Group picture in front of the slab of carved cement!

Luckily, we managed to get tickets to go down using the cable car, so no more huffing and puffing going down the slope road!

Went home the day after that, and ... now boredom sets in all over again, along with the apprehensiveness of a new university. But... I SHALL PREVAIL? I Hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment