Saturday, May 8, 2010

imagination takes flight



If I was bred in a village, I would sit by a river when the days were cool. I'd splash water on my friends and laugh while running away. I'd try and catch fish with my bare hands, and just enjoy a cool day while soaking my feet in the clear water. I'd wade when the whim strikes me and trace the patterns of shadows on the ground.
If I was bred in the village, I'd marvel at how the rickety old wooden bridge manages to be so inexplicably important in our lives, and stand under it when the days became too hot. I would hide there when we play games, or just sit there and stare upriver, wondering what would happen if I follow it.

I would dangle my feet at the side of the bridge at night, enjoying the air while I lie down on my back and count stars. I'd make my own constellations, and dream one day of very own knight in shining armor. I would fantasize about working in my dream job of tending to helpless animals and wondering if someday, I would be the person everyone expects me to be.

If I lived near a forest, I would draw pictures of the enchantments they hold (Actually, scratch that I can't draw to save my life, I'll just imagine). No, not animals or bugs. Of how each leaf may be hiding a dancing fairy, a playful elf or a cheeky gnome. How each rush of wind sounds like the secret whispers from the oak tree to the stately willow. I would marvel at the way the lush greenery forms a mosaic above my head, a canopy that sends dim light scattered throughout the area.
I would hide behind leaves and trees, and pretend I'm a magical creature too! One who would be able to make cakes and tea appear with just a wave of my hand. I'd imagine myself in a dress that was made out of sheer air, with long curled hair and eyes the color of onyxs. I would pluck fresh flowers everyday to decorate my home with, and enjoy the colors they bring, they scent they give.

If i lived next to an ocean, the sounds of water against rocks would be music to my ears. The white foam would be an artwork in my eyes. I would hope from rock to rock as if it was my home, laughing when I scared people with my acts. I would crouch by the sea when the mood strikes and just observe the way life in general goes on.

But I'm a city girl through and through. I love the two biggest shopping malls at my disposal, the computer I definitely can't live without, and the air conditioning that has become essential with the heat. Yet sometimes I close my eyes, and smile at the thought that if I lived somewhere remote, I would have the wind as my companion, the river as my comforter, the sea as my bolster, and the forest as my fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment